Stuk 1 - Engraving of St. John’s Abbey, Kilkenny

Open original Digitaal object

referentie code

IE CA KK/6/1

Titel

Engraving of St. John’s Abbey, Kilkenny

Datum(s)

  • c.1781-1790 (Vervaardig)

Beschrijvingsniveau

Stuk

Omvang en medium

17 cm x 12.5 cm; Engraving

Naam van de archiefvormer

archiefbewaarplaats

Geschiedenis van het archief

Directe bron van verwerving of overbrenging

Bereik en inhoud

An engraving of St. John’s Abbey, Kilkenny. The print is probably taken from Edward Ledwich’s 'The History of Antiquities of Irishtown and Kilkenny', which contains plates of ‘St. John’s Abbey, Kilkenny’ and the ‘East Window of Dunamase Abbey’, engraved from W. Beauford’s drawings by J. Duff.

Waardering, vernietiging en slectie

Aanvullingen

Ordeningstelsel

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging

Voorwaarden voor reproductie

Taal van het materiaal

    Schrift van het materiaal

      Taal en schrift aantekeningen

      Fysieke eigenschappen en technische eisen

      Toegangen

      Bestaan en verblifplaats van originelen

      Bestaan en verblijfplaats van kopieën

      Related units of description

      Related descriptions

      Aantekening

      Edward Ledwich (c.1737-1823), a Dublin-born historian, antiquarian, and topographer. The engraving dates to about 1781. St. John’s Abbey (also known as St John’s Priory) is a medieval Augustinian abbey. In 1211 William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, an Anglo-Norman soldier, granted land on the east bank of the River Nore to the Augustinians. This new church was afterwards known as the Priory of St. John the Evangelist. The abbey and priory church remained centres of worship until 1540 when they were suppressed by Henry VIII. In about 1667 the Capuchin friars secured a portion of St. John’s Abbey and a plot of ground on nearby St. Michael’s Lane where they established a hospice and an oratory. By 1678 the Capuchins had a community of three friars in Kilkenny. The Capuchin house adjoining St. John’s Abbey was ultimately closed in 1698 after the passage of a parliamentary Act of Banishment which aimed to expel all Catholic religious orders from Ireland. St. John’s Abbey church did not resume its religious aspect until 1817 when the still-standing portion of the building (known as the ‘Lady Chapel’) was repaired and consecrated as a Church of Ireland (Anglican) parish church which is still in use.

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Onderwerp trefwoord

      Geografische trefwoorden

      Naam ontsluitingsterm

      Genre access points

      Identificatie van de beschrijving

      Identificatiecode van de instelling

      Toegepaste regels en/of conventies

      Status

      Niveau van detaillering

      Verwijdering van datering archiefvorming

      Taal (talen)

        Schrift(en)

          Bronnen

          Digitaal object (Master) rights area

          Digitaal object (Referentie) rights area

          Digitaal object (Thumbnail) rights area

          Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik