Unidad documental simple 1 - Engraving of St. John’s Abbey, Kilkenny

Open original Objeto digital

Código de referencia

IE CA KK/6/1

Título

Engraving of St. John’s Abbey, Kilkenny

Fecha(s)

  • c.1781-1790 (Creación)

Nivel de descripción

Unidad documental simple

Volumen y soporte

17 cm x 12.5 cm; Engraving

Nombre del productor

Institución archivística

Historia archivística

Origen del ingreso o transferencia

Alcance y contenido

An engraving of St. John’s Abbey, Kilkenny. The print is probably taken from Edward Ledwich’s 'The History of Antiquities of Irishtown and Kilkenny', which contains plates of ‘St. John’s Abbey, Kilkenny’ and the ‘East Window of Dunamase Abbey’, engraved from W. Beauford’s drawings by J. Duff.

Valorización, destrucción y programación

Acumulaciones

Sistema de arreglo

Condiciones de acceso

Condiciones

Idioma del material

    Escritura del material

      Notas sobre las lenguas y escrituras

      Características físicas y requisitos técnicos

      Instrumentos de descripción

      Existencia y localización de originales

      Existencia y localización de copias

      Unidades de descripción relacionadas

      Descripciones relacionadas

      Notas

      Edward Ledwich (c.1737-1823), a Dublin-born historian, antiquarian, and topographer. The engraving dates to about 1781. St. John’s Abbey (also known as St John’s Priory) is a medieval Augustinian abbey. In 1211 William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, an Anglo-Norman soldier, granted land on the east bank of the River Nore to the Augustinians. This new church was afterwards known as the Priory of St. John the Evangelist. The abbey and priory church remained centres of worship until 1540 when they were suppressed by Henry VIII. In about 1667 the Capuchin friars secured a portion of St. John’s Abbey and a plot of ground on nearby St. Michael’s Lane where they established a hospice and an oratory. By 1678 the Capuchins had a community of three friars in Kilkenny. The Capuchin house adjoining St. John’s Abbey was ultimately closed in 1698 after the passage of a parliamentary Act of Banishment which aimed to expel all Catholic religious orders from Ireland. St. John’s Abbey church did not resume its religious aspect until 1817 when the still-standing portion of the building (known as the ‘Lady Chapel’) was repaired and consecrated as a Church of Ireland (Anglican) parish church which is still in use.

      Identificador/es alternativo(os)

      Puntos de acceso por materia

      Puntos de acceso por lugar

      Puntos de acceso por autoridad

      Tipo de puntos de acceso

      Identificador de la descripción

      Identificador de la institución

      Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

      Estado de elaboración

      Nivel de detalle

      Fechas de creación revisión eliminación

      Idioma(s)

        Escritura(s)

          Fuentes

          Objeto digital (Ejemplar original), área de permisos

          Objeto digital (Referencia), área de permisos

          Objeto digital (Miniatura), área de permisos

          Área de Ingreso