- c.1930-1975 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Black and white print; 21.5 cm x 16.5 cm; 16 cm x 11.5 cm; 15.5 cm x 13.5 cm; 14 cm x 11.5 cm; 85 items
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Photographic prints submitted for publication in 'The Capuchin Annual'. The file includes prints of agricultural labourers and craft-workers, and scenes of traditional rural life and culture. Several of the prints depict life on the Aran Islands off County Galway. Most of the prints are annotated on the reverse. Some of the annotations provide details of the photographer or studio responsible for the print. The file includes the following images:
• An Achill Island horseman carrying turf.
• Maggie Dirrane, an actress in the documentary film Man of Aran.
• Boy selling coconuts at a stall.
• Fruit-seller on Shandon Street, Cork.
• The road leading to Trim Castle.
• A man and donkey in Glengariff, County Cork.
• Captain and first mate on board the CIE ship, 'Dun Aengus', travelling to the Aran Islands.
• A spinner at Leenane, Connemara.
• A Connemara turf boy.
• An Aran Island farmer.
• Holly-sellers, Cork.
• ‘Bowl-turning on a pole lathe’.
• Slemish Mountain, County Antrim.
• O’Callaghan’s Mills, County Clare.
• Interior of an Irish cottage on the Blasket Islands.
• ‘Apples for sale on Shandon Street’, Cork.
• Livestock near Ventry, County Kerry.
• A tobacco (clay) pipe maker, County Antrim.
• A County Down farmer.
• James (Jamesie) O’Flaherty of Kilronan making ‘pampooties’ on Inishmore, Aran Islands.
• A linen maker, County Antrim.
• Salmon fishing at Annagassan, County Louth.
• Young boys on Shandon Street, Cork.
• Sporting competitions in the Mardyke and in Ballinlough, Cork.
• Aran Islanders unloading supplies onto currachs.
• Mending shoes on St. Patrick’s Street, Cork.
• Teaching the Rosary on Horse Island off the Kerry coast.
• Pat Hernon of Kilmurvey, Aran Islands.
• Children performing a jig on the Blasket Islands.
• Postcard views of Glendalough, County Wicklow.
• Above Bay Lough, County Tipperary (1934).
• Man playing a xylophone on board a boat possibly off the Aran Islands.
• Kilmore Quay Village and the Saltee Island Sea Bird Sanctuary, County Wexford.
• On the road to Kenmare near Eagle’s Nest, County Kerry.
• The Reeks near Killarney, County Kerry.
• Galway Harbour.
• Irish Army vehicles on manoeuvres in the Curragh, County Kildare.
• Warrenpoint, County Down.
• Slieve Binnian, Mourne Mountains, County Down.
• Traditional Irish Dancing, Bundoran, County Donegal.
• A woman with a donkey and trap on Kenmare Bridge, County Kerry.
• Fair on Inishmaan (Inis Meáin), Aran Islands.
• ‘Seanchas’, Aran Islands.
• Turf gatherers near Cashel, Connemara, County Galway.
• Bringing home the turf near Glengarriff, County Cork.
• Currachs at Baile-na-nGall on the shores of Smerwick Harbour, County Kerry.
• Dugort, Achill Island.
• A group of Currachs off the Aran Islands.
• An old flat-bottomed ferry on Upper Lough Erne, County Fermanagh.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Some of the prints are annotated on the reverse with the photographer and studio name. These include Kevin P. MacManus, Charles C. Fennell, Keogh Brothers and C. & L. Walsh. With a covering envelope titled ‘views from old stock’ indicating that some of these prints may have also appeared in 'The Father Mathew Record'.