- c.1890-1956 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
18 items; Newspaper clippings
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Scope and content
File of newspaper clippings mainly re various anniversaries and commemorations connected with Fr. Theobald Mathew OSFC and the temperance campaign. The file includes:
• Father Mathew Centenary Supplement to the 'Weekly Herald', 18 Oct. 1890.
• J.T. Collins, ‘Cork’s Fr. Mathew Statue’, 'Evening Echo', 23 June 1956.
• ‘Father Mathew / Interesting Memoir of his Life and Labour’. [c.1905].
• Gillie Lismore, ‘Friar with face of an angel / millions of people enrolled under his banner’.
• ‘Father Mathew / Birthday Celebration / Address by Very Rev. Dr. Thomas Dowling OSFC’, 'Cork Examiner', 12 Oct. 1925.
• ‘Father Mathew’, Everybody’s Monthly, 1 Oct. 1912. Refers to a temperance mission conducted by Fr. Dowling OSFC in Graiguenamanagh, County Kilkenny.
• ‘Dublin Memorial to Father Mathew’, Irish Independent, 10 Oct. 1939. The clipping refers to the laying of the commemorative tablet to mark the re-naming of the bridge (formerly Whitworth Bridge) at Church Street to honour Fr. Theobald Mathew OSFC.
• Newspaper clipping of an article titled ‘Life of Father Mathew Recalled on eve of Catholic Total Abstinence Union of America (CTAU) Convention’. c.1949.
• Newspaper cutting reporting on a ceremony at Thomastown Castle, County Tipperary, to honour Fr. Mathew in 1956. The article includes reports of speeches by the Most Rev. Jeremiah Kinane, Archbishop of Cashel, and Fr. James O’Mahony OFM Cap., Provincial Minister.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Some of the clippings in this file are extremely fragile. Careful manual handling is required.