Showing 22 results

Archival description
Travers, Aloysius, 1870-1957, Capuchin priest With digital objects
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Capuchin Friars in Church Street Garden

Photographic print of a group of Capuchin friars playing croquet in the garden of the Church Street Friary. The game is taking place in front of a high wall which fronts out onto Bow Street. Fr. Paul Neary OSFC and Fr. Aloysius Travers OSFC appear to be participating in the game.

Capuchin Friars with Minister General, Holy Trinity Friary, Cork

Newspaper clipping of a photograph of a group of Capuchin friars with Fr. Venancio de L'Isle-en-Rigault OSFC, Minister General, in the garden of Holy Trinity Friary in Cork. The printed title reads '"Cork Weekly Examiner" and "Weekly Herald Supplement", July 1st 1916 / The Capuchin Fathers, Cork, with the Superior-General of the Order / Standing: Brother Aidan, Brother Angelus, Rev. Father Angelus, Rev. Father Joseph, Rev. Dr. Edwin, Rev. Father Bernardine, Rev. Father Clement, Brother Egedius, Rev. Father Leonard, Rev. Father Finbarr; Sitting: Very Rev. Father Matthew, Guardian, Cork, Very Rev. Father Aloysius, Provincial; Most Rev. Father Venantius, Minister General, Minister General; Very Rev. Father Bernardine, English Provincial Minister, Father Fredigand, secretary to Superior General’.
Photographer/Studio: 'Cork Examiner'.

Capuchin Friars, Church Street, Dublin

A group portrait of several Capuchin friars outside the Capuchin Friary on Church Street in Dublin. The photograph may have been taken on the occasion of a jubilee celebration for Fr. Salvator Maria Corrigan OFM Cap. The group includes:
Standing at door: Fr. Benedict Phelan OFM Cap. (1874-1947)
Second row, first on the left: Fr. Angelus Healy OFM Cap. (1875-1953)
Second row, second on the left: Br. Felix Harte OFM Cap. (1861-1935)
Second row, third on the left: Fr. Stanislaus Kavanagh OFM Cap. (1875-1965)
Second row, fourth on the left: Fr. Peter Bowe OFM Cap. (1856-1926)
Second row, fifth on the left: Fr. Columbus Murphy OFM Cap. (1881-1962)
Second row, sixth on the left: Br. Leo Cronin OFM Cap. (1859-1949)
First row, first on the left: Fr. Sylvester Mulligan OFM Cap. (1975-1950)
First row, second on the left: Fr. Aloysius Travers OFM Cap. (1870-1957)
First row, fourth on the left: Fr. Salvator Maria Corrigan OFM Cap. (1835-1919)

Copy Circular Letter from Provincial Minister

Copy circular letter from Fr. Kevin Moynihan OFM Cap., Provincial Minister, announcing the purchase of Ards House by the Capuchin Order. The letter reads:

'It is more than 350 years since the Franciscans laboured “for the glory of God, and the honour of Erin” in the historic Abbey of Donegal. Now they are returning and let us hope that this new Friary of the Order will be a centre of spiritual force, the influence of which will be felt, not only in Tirconaill, but in the whole of the north of Ireland'.

He also expresses his gratitude to Fr. Aloysius Travers OFM Cap. whose ‘untiring energy’ ensured the acquisition of the property. A note (added by Fr. Angelus Healy OFM Cap.) states that a meeting of the Provincial Definitory on 5 Mar. 1930 confirmed the plan to purchase of Ards House for a canonical foundation. It is also noted that Fr. Colman Griffin OFM Cap. was appointed guardian of the new foundation.

Moynihan, Kevin, 1877-1959, Capuchin priest

Fr. Aloysius Travers OFM Cap., Lough Derg, County Donegal

A view of (second on the left) Fr. Aloysius Travers OFM Cap., with Fr. Angelus Healy OFM Cap. and a diocesan cleric (with a biretta). The image probably forms part of a series of photographs of a pilgrimage to Lough Derg which includes CA PH/1/1 and CA PH/1/16 and CA PH/1/60.

Letters from Bishop William Mac Neely

Letters from the Most Rev. William MacNeely, Bishop of Raphoe (1888-1963), to Fr. Aloysius Travers OFM Cap. re arrangements for the purchase of Ards House by the Capuchins. A letter of 1 Mar. 1930 expresses his pleasure on hearing that ‘negotiations with the Land Commission have been successful. About the time of taking over the property, really it does not matter; just make arrangements as you consider convenient’. A letter on 18 Mar. 1930 affirms that the friars ‘may fix up an Oratory at once … as soon as things are in order’.

Results 1 to 10 of 22