Showing 6595 results

Archival description
Irish Capuchin Archives
Print preview Hierarchy View:

3135 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Blackamoor Lane Friary Church, Cork

A view of the site of the former Capuchin church in Cork known as the ‘South Friary’, situated on Blackamoor Lane. With a cover annotation which reads ‘Fr. Theobald Mathew’s old church, Cork’. By the early eighteenth century the Capuchins had established a permanent residence in the South Parish of Cork city and by 1741 had built a small Friary on Blackamoor Lane situated between O’Sullivan’s Quay and Cove Street. The small chapel in the photograph was built by Fr. Arthur O’Leary OSFC (1729-1802) in 1771. It subsequently became known as the ‘South Friary’. During the first half of the nineteenth century Cork city underwent a rapid expansion in both geographical size and population. It soon became apparent that the Friary Church on Blackamoor Lane was not sufficient to meet the demands of a growing congregation. In the 1820s Fr. Theobald Mathew OSFC (1790-1856) moved to build a larger church in a more convenient location on Charlotte Quay. The Friary Church on Blackamoor Lane was eventually closed on 6 October 1850. The building soon fell into disrepair.

Blackwood’s Edinburgh Magazine

Date: Apr. 1853
Publisher: Edinburgh: W. Blackwood Ltd.
Language: English
Journal Format: 'Blackwood’s Edinburgh Magazine' vol. LXXXIII, No. CCCL (Apr. 1853) has an article titled ‘Temperance and teetotal societies’.

Blessing of Grotto in Livingstone

Bishop Timothy Phelim O’Shea OFM Cap. at a ceremony blessing a grotto in Livingstone. The group also includes Fr. Albert Hayes OFM Cap. and the altar servers, Noel Young, Ian Beaton, Peter Jones, and Robert Jones.

Results 511 to 520 of 6595