Showing 6483 results

Archival description
Irish Capuchin Archives
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

3028 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Letter from Archbishop Paschal Robinson, Apostolic Nuncio

Letter from Archbishop Paschal Robinson OFM, Apostolic Nuncio to Ireland, to Fr. Martin Hyland OFM Cap., apologising for being unable to attend the celebration of the centenary of the laying by Fr. Theobald Mathew OSFC of the foundation stone of Holy Trinity Church, Cork.

Horarium

Horarium for the Holy Trinity community, Cork. The document is signed by Fr. Aloysius Travers OSFC, Provincial Minister, 15 Oct. 1913.

Capuchin Community Newsletter

Mass reading sheets and newsletters produced by the Capuchin Community, Holy Trinity Church, Cork. The newsletters include brief notices and information provided by Fr. Silvester O’Flynn OFM Cap., guardian.

Election of Fr. Martin Hyland as Guardian

Confirmation from Fr. Edwin Fitzgibbon OSFC (1874-1938), Provincial Minister, of the election of Fr. Martin Hyland OSFC (1881-1933) as guardian of Holy Trinity Friary.

Fitzgibbon, Edwin, 1874-1938, Capuchin priest

Election of Fr. Thomas Dowling as Guardian

Confirmation from Fr. Sylvester Mulligan OSFC (1875-1950), Provincial Minister, of the election of Fr. Thomas Dowling OSFC as guardian of Holy Trinity Friary.

Mulligan, Sylvester, 1875-1950, Capuchin priest

Election of Fr. Flannan Downing as Guardian

Confirmation from Fr. Colman Griffin OFM Cap. (1886-1971), Provincial Minster, of the election of Fr. Flannan Downing OFM Cap. (1903-1951) as guardian of Holy Trinity Friary.

Griffin, Colman, 1886-1971, Capuchin priest

Queen Street (later Father Mathew Street) and Assembly Rooms Site

This section contains deeds and leases relating to the acquisition of property by the Capuchins on Queen Street (later Father Mathew Street) in Cork. Some of the deeds relate to the premises known as the ‘Protestant Hall’, subsequently called the ‘Assembly Rooms’, situated on South Mall directly behind Holy Trinity Church. The construction of this building can be traced to a religious controversy in 1858 when the Committee for the Athenaeum, now the Cork Opera House, refused permission to host a public lecture by Alessandro Gavazzi (1809-1899), an Italian Protestant preacher. The Committee did not apparently concur with the anti-Catholic tone of Gavazzi’s speeches. Many of Cork’s Protestants were outraged at this refusal and decided to build a Hall for the use of all the citizens of the city interested in preserving free speech. Francis Bernard, 3rd Earl of Bandon (1810-1877), laid the foundation of stone in 1860 and the Hall opened on 12 April 1861. The plot of ground was roughly L-shaped with a frontage onto the South Mall. However, the entrance to the Hall, located at 22 South Mall, was not completed until 1869. Richard Rolt Brash (1817-1876) was the architect. The 'Irish Builder' published an engraving (above) of the building in 1869 and noted that ‘The hall was erected some eight years ago, from the designs of Mr. Richard R. Brash, M.R.I.A., but the entrance leading to it from the South Mall was never completed; it is now proposed to cover in the entrance, which is 80 feet long and 20 feet wide, and to erect a reading-room and other offices over the space. The new buildings have been designed by the same architect, and have been contracted for by Mr. Robert Walker, builder, of Cork. The front will be executed in Henderson’s white brick and Portland stone, the plinth and bands in white limestone’.

Many events were held in the Hall over the years including operas, music recitals, and public lectures. The Assembly Rooms was also the location for the first screening of a motion picture in Cork in 1896. It functioned as a public cinema from 1911 until the mid-1960s. The Hall was run by an Association and elected trustees who resolved at a special meeting held in March 1964 to sell the property at a public auction. The Capuchins subsequently purchased the premises for £20,000 (See CA HT/2/1/1/36). The interior of the Hall was completely refurbished in 1970 but the external fabric of the building was retained. Students from St. Francis Training Centre opened a coffee shop on the premises in 1989. Later, it became a restaurant known as ‘The Assembs’. Threshold, the National Housing Agency founded by Fr. Donal O’Mahony OFM Cap. (1936-2010), took over the building in 2005.

Lease by Robert Warner to John Henry Gamble

Lease by Robert Warner, Cork, master cooper, to John Henry Gamble, Cork, merchant, of a plot of ground and passage way leading onto Queen Street, together with the buildings and stores built thereon, for 300 years, in consideration of £100, and at the yearly rent of £50. With a coloured map of the aforementioned premises, measuring 121 feet 0 inches by 143 feet 10 inches. The property is bounded to the south by ‘ground in the possession of Mr Warner’ and by ‘Mr. Mathew’s Chapel’, to the north by premises held by Mr Foley, Mr Wood and Mrs Croft (stables), to the west by ‘Mr Murphy’s concerns’, and to the east by Queen Street. Scale: 40 feet to 1 inch. The lease is annotated on the reverse: ‘Head lease of 1/9/1862 (Warner and Sarsfield). This lease surrendered?’

Results 4441 to 4450 of 6483