Showing 3113 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Irish Capuchin Archives With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Concert Fliers

Fliers for concerts, recitals and Father Mathew celebrations at the Temperance Hall, Rochestown, County Cork. The coloured fliers were printed by Hickey & Byrne, Cork.

Assignment of Michael Murphy to John Cunningham of premises

Assignment of Michael Murphy, 24 Bow Street, to John Cunningham, 44 Bow Street, of no. 24 Bow Street in consideration ‘of he putting said premises in repair, and he allowing me two shillings and 6d per week during my life’. With a conveyance (24 May 1887) from John Cunningham to Fr. Nicholas Murphy OSFC and other Capuchin friars, Church Street, of the said premises in consideration of the sum of £50. This deed has a small sketch map of the property. With receipts for the aforementioned payments and notices for payments in respect of municipal rates on the said premises. (See CA CS/2/2/7/10).

Minutes of Committee Meetings

Minutes of Committee Meetings regarding the new Church of St. Mary of the Angels, Church Street, Dublin. The minutes appear to have been compiled by Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly OSFC. The first meeting was held on 20 July 1861 ‘for the purpose of collecting funds for the erection of the church at which the Rt. Hon. Sir William Carroll [1819-1870] MD, Lord Mayor of Dublin, took the chair …’. The opening meeting referred to the ‘poverty of the location in which they [the Capuchins] have chosen with the spirit of their founder the Seraphic St. Francis … to erect a temple worthy of Catholicity …’. The minutes of the meetings mainly refer to efforts to secure funding for financing the construction of the new church. Statements of expenditure are included in some of the minutes.

O’Reilly, Daniel Patrick, 1831-1894, Capuchin priest

Plan of 21 Bow Street

Scale: 20 feet to 1 inch
Plan delineating the boundary of demised house, yards and shed at 21 Bow Street. The plot is bounded to north by 22 Bow Street, a passage way and a school house, and to the east by the Chapel Yard and Curtins’ Yard. The frontage onto Bow Street measures 38 feet 4 inches. An annotation in the left-hand margin of the plan reads: ‘The red line indicates the boundary’.

Father Mathew Feis Medals

Hall-marked silver and bronze Father Mathew Feis medals of uniform Celtic Cross design. Some of the medals have an orange ribbon fastener. The medals are engraved on the reverse with:
• ‘1st prize Drawing & Designing (Class B). 1924’.
• ‘Club Swinging Seniors. 1929’.
• ‘Physical Culture – 1928-29-30. Maggie Hamilton’ (digital image above).
• ‘Swedish Drill. Maggie Hamilton. 1930’.
• ‘2nd Prize / Domestic Science / Crochet / 1925’.
• ‘2nd Prize / Domestic Science/ Overall / 1925’.
• ‘2nd Prize / Sewing / Class D / 1926’.
• ‘Senior Club Swinging / 1930’.
• ‘Senior Club Swinging / 1931’.
• ‘Physical Culture / 1931’.
• ‘Senior English Elocution / 1931 / Second’.
Three of the Celtic Cross Feis Maitiú medals have no engraving on the reverse. The file also includes the metal die used to strike the Feis medal.

The Moore’s Melodies Cup

Inscribed on foot: ‘Moore’s Melodies Presented by Denis Guiney 1947’. The bowl is inscribed with winners from 1973-96. The base also has silver shields indicating winners.

'Freeman's Journal'

A clipping from the 'Freeman's Journal' (4 Sept. 1913) showing the wrecked interior of one of the collapsed tenement buildings on Church Street.

Lists of applications for Church Street made by Dispossessed Tenants

‘Lists of applications for Church Street made by Dispossessed Tenants’. The lists provide the names of local tenants who are seemingly occupying tenements, their addresses, and occupations. Notes are made of which tenants responded to ‘cards sent out’ and those which did not. With a cover sent to Fr. Nicholas Murphy OSFC by ‘Labourers’ Dwellings and Lodging-Houses, Corporation of Dublin’.

Report on Housing Improvements on Church Street

A report titled ‘housing in Dublin’ by Fr. Angelus Healy OFM Cap. referring to the corporation-sponsored Church Street and Beresford Street Improvement Schemes. Fr. Angelus refers to the history of Capuchin involvement in the campaign for housing improvement in the areas around Church Street. He wrote: ‘The Capuchins were directly responsible for the improvements that began in 1890, when Father Columbus [Maher] erected the Father Mathew Hall. Later on Father Nicholas [Murphy] obtained possession of the area extending from the Hall down to the Church. This was a very insanitary area, with a number of courts and alleys of ill-repute. It is now occupied by an extension of the Hall and by the garden attached to the Capuchin Friary. Reference is also made in the report into the Church Street Tenement Disaster of September 1913. This article was published in 'The Father Mathew Record', Vol. 27, No. 8 (Aug. 1934), pp 407-16.

Healy, Angelus, 1875-1953, Capuchin priest

Newspaper Clippings

The file includes
• Report of a Dublin Corporation housing enquiry into conditions in tenements in the Cook Street-Chapel Yard area ('Evening Herald', 2 Feb. 1933). Reference is made in the report to the ruins of 'a Capuchin convent, an old windmill and two Mass houses' in the Cook Street area.
• Article (with photographic prints) publicising the opening of a sale of work in aid of the Capuchin Foreign Missions held in the Catholic Commercial Club in Dublin. 'Irish Catholic', 1 Dec. 1938. The attendees included Alfie Byrne, Lord Mayor of Dublin, and Fr. Colman Griffin OFM Cap.

Resultaten 2951 tot 2960 van 3113