Showing 324 results

Archival description
Irish Capuchin Archives File Image
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

324 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

The Irish Capuchins in Zambia

Photographic prints compiled for an article by Bishop Timothy Phelim O’Shea OFM Cap. (1902-1979) titled ‘The Irish Capuchins in Cape Town and Zambia / from virgin mission territory to diocese’, published in 'The Capuchin Annual' (1975). The file includes images of Capuchin friars, Franciscan Missionary Sisters, hospitals, clinics and schools established by religious congregations, and locals availing of care and education at these establishments. The file includes the following images:

• The official opening of Mongu Training College, Zambia, in 1970.
• St Francis Mission, Malengwa, Mongu, Zambia.
• Irish Christian Brothers in Mongu, Zambia.
• Classroom block, St. John’s College, Mongu, Zambia.
• Irish, French and African teachers in Mongu, Zambia.
• Doctor O’Connor ministering to three women suffering with leprosy at St. Joseph’s Mission, Mangango, Zambia.
• African Franciscan Missionary Sisters with Bishop Timothy Phelim O’Shea OFM Cap.
• Sisters teaching African children in an open-air class in Basutoland (later Lesotho).
• Bishop O’Shea saying the rosary at a leper grotto in Mangango.
• Group of secondary school girls at Malengwa.
• Blessing of a new church at Shimano near Mangango Mission, Zambia. The print shows Fr. Benignus Buckley OFM Cap., Fr. Dermot Duffy OFM Cap. and Fr. James Connolly OFM Cap.
• Fr. Conor Brady OFM Cap. (1923-1993) at the grave of Fr. Gerard Joyce OFM Cap. (d. 12 July 1944) in Sihole.
• President Kenneth Kaunda at the opening of Sesheke Hospital, Zambia.
Note: See also Introduction and Guide to the Papers of the Irish Capuchin Missions in Africa

O’Shea, Timothy Phelim, 1902-1979, Capuchin priest

The Moderator

The file contains the following editions of this newspaper published in Kilkenny:
6 Aug. 1814 (No. 94)
13 Aug. 1814 (No. 97)

The Nation / Sovereign and Undivided

The file contains the following editions of this Anti-Treaty newsletter:
12 Aug. 1922 (No. 1)-23 Sept. 1922 (No. 6)
6 Sept. 1922 (No. 8)-4 Nov. 1922 (No. 12)
18 Nov. 1922 (No. 14)-19 Dec. 1922 (No. 19)
Multiple copies of some editions of 'The Nation' are extant in the file. With two copies of 'Handbills for Heretics', an undated Anti-Treaty publication which re-used some content from 'The Nation'.

The Plain People (Na Daoine Macánta)

The file comprises the following editions of this weekly Anti-Treaty newspaper: 9 Apr. 1922 (Vol. 1, No. 1)-2 July 1922 (Vol. 1, No. 13). Each edition featured political cartoons on the front page (some of which were drawn by Grace Plunkett).

The Road from Rochestown, County Cork

Two plates showing images of the road from Rochestown to the local railway station. The image shows three Capuchin friars with a three-arch stone bridge, a mill and a chimney in the distant background. One of the friars is identifiable. The individual first on the right is Fr. Ignatius Collins OSFC. With an annotated cover.

The Spark

The file contains the following editions of this weekly nationalist newsprint edited by Ed. Dalton: 28 Mar. 1915 (Vol. 1, No. 8)-23 Apr. 1916 (Vol. 1, No. 64). The series is incomplete but there are multiple copies of some editions extant in the file. The cover banner of 'The Spark' was drawn by Grace Gifford

The Stewart-Bam Residence

File containing photographic prints of the Stewart-Bam residence at Ards House, Creeslough, County Donegal. These are images of the residence (and former owners) before the Capuchin friars took possession of Ards House in 1930. Some of the prints were reproduced in 'A history of Ards' (1991) by Fr. David Kelleher OFM Cap. The file includes:
• Copy print of the gardens at Ards House in 1859. Fr. David notes that this photograph was taken by David Knox (1821-1895).
• Sir Pieter von Blommenstein Bam in the uniform of a Lieutenant Colonel during the Boer War in South Africa, c.1900.
• The staff of Ards House in 1906. The photograph is annotated on the reverse with the names of the male and female servants.
• Servants and staff welcoming the newly married Ena Dingwell Tasca Stewart-Bam and Sir Pieter von Blommenstein Bam (d. 20 Dec. 1928) at Ards House in 1910. The smaller copy of the print has the following annotation: ‘Taken over 20 years ago, at some kind of reception given to the Stewards by his tenants xx – Sir Peter and Lady Stewart. Arrow on photograph points to present gardener (W. Barr)’.
• An original print of a group with two jarveys outside Ards House in about 1910.
• Copy print of a sketch map of the Ards Estate Home Farm Offices, the property of A.J.R. Stewart.
• Ena Dingwell Tasca Stewart-Bam on the front stairway in Ards House in c.1910.
• A woman with a young child (presumably tenants) outside a cottage on the Ards Estate.

The Student / a magazine of national & university affairs

The file contains the following editions of this newspaper produced by the National Students’ Club, Cork: 27 Nov. 1918; 30 Nov. 1918; 7 Dec. 1918; 10 Dec. 1918. The articles are chiefly in English, with some in Irish. The paper was printed for the proprietors by Gaelic Publishers, 96 Patrick Street, Cork. In November and December 1918 'The Student' was published twice weekly because of the general election cf. issue for 27 Nov. 1918. Parallel title at head: 'Macléighinn'.

The Workers’ Republic

The file comprises the following editions of this weekly socialist and nationalist newspaper founded and edited by James Connolly:
6 Nov. 1915 (Vol. 1, No. 24)
18 Dec. 1915 (Vol. 1, No. 30)
1 Apr. 1916 (Vol. 1, No. 45)
From 1915, Connolly printed 'The Workers’ Republic' newspaper on a Double Crown Wharfdale printer from offices at Liberty Hall.

Thomastown Castle, County Tipperary

‘Paget Prize Plate Co., Ltd., Watford’ box. The box contains a manuscript note which reads: ‘With Fr. Russell’s compliments. Negatives of Thomastown Castle, County Tipperary. Front and back views. Maynooth, 27 Nov. 1913’. The box contains three glass plate negatives. A front and rear view of Thomastown Castle, the childhood home of Fr. Theobald Mathew OSFC (1790-1856), and a photographic image of a letter from Fr. Mathew.
Thomastown Castle, near Golden in County Tipperary, was a large country house built by the Mathew family. The earliest house on this site was built by George Mathew and dated to c.1670. The house was enlarged in the Gothic style by Francis Mathew, 2nd Earl of Llandaff, in 1812. The renowned Irish architect, Richard Morrison (1767-1849), redesigned the house incorporating several Gothic features including the ornate towers on the front elevation. Thomastown Castle was the childhood home of Fr. Theobold Mathew OSFC who abandoned a life of privilege to become a Capuchin friar. By the late nineteenth century the fortunes of the Mathew family had declined, and Thomastown Castle had fallen into ruins and the estate was completely abandoned. The ‘Fr. Russell’ referred to in the manuscript note in the file is probably Fr. Mathew Russell, editor of ‘The Irish Monthly’.

Results 301 to 310 of 324