Print preview Close

Showing 41 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Irish Capuchin Archives Irish Capuchin Archives Maher, Columbus, 1835-1894, Capuchin priest
Print preview Hierarchy View:

8 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

House ledger

The title page reads: ‘The ledger of the Capuchin Convent, Kilkenny, August 6th 1860 and 1861-1880’. The manuscript title is initialled by Fr. Patrick Joseph Columbus Maher OSFC. Most of the expenditure entries relate to household sundries, wages and expenses incurred for the upkeep of the church and friary. Most of the income derives from monies received at collections at Sunday mass and at vespers. Monthly totals are included. The entry for 14 Aug. 1867 is signed by the Irish Capuchin Commissionary General.

Father Mathew Temperance Medals

Father Mathew Temperance Medal
c.1840-1850
Diameter: 4.4 cm
Silver Medal
Physical description:
• Face (front): Fr. Mathew addresses the kneeling crowd. Outer rim inscription reads ‘May God bless you and grant you grace and strength to keep your promise.
Obverse: Outer edge inscription reads ‘Dedicated to the Very Rev. Theobald Mathew. Centre: ‘Whose / exertions / have laid the / foundation of his country’s happiness / and merited / the admiration / of mankind’.
A green and white ribbon in the form of a crucifix (with pin) is attached.

Total Abstinence Society Medal
c.1840-1850
Diameter: 4.4 cm
Silver Medal
Physical description:
• Face (front): Man and woman on pedestal on which two children are seated. The adults carry a shield surmounted by a cross, with an angel above. The upper part of the shield has a lamb bearing a banner. The man bears a banner with the words ‘sobriety’. The woman bears a banner with the words ‘Domestic Comfort’. Outer-edge inscription reads: ‘In hoc signo vinces’.
Obverse: Cruciform text of pledge. Outer edge inscription reads: ‘Total Abstinence Society, The Very Rev. T. Mathew, President’.
A green ribbon with pin is attached.

Total Abstinence Society Medal
1840
Diameter: 4.4 cm
Silver Medal in Glass
Physical description:
• Face (front): Man and woman on pedestal on which two children are seated. The adults carry a shield surmounted by a cross, with an angel above left of the cross. The upper part of the shield has a lamb bearing a banner. The man bears a banner with the words ‘sobriety’. The woman bears a banner with the words ‘Domestic Comfort’. Outer-edge inscription reads: ‘In hoc signo vinces’.
Obverse: Cruciform text of pledge encircled by title of society, president (Fr. Theobald Mathew), and the date of foundation (10 Apr. 1838).
A large green ribbon is attached with the following embroidered text ‘F ✙ M / 1840 / God Save Ireland’. The ribbon is partially torn. Very careful manual handling is required.

Medal of the Army Temperance Association, India
1862
Oval-shaped silver medal
4 cm x 3 cm
Physical Description:
• Medal of the Soldiers’ Total Abstinence Association in India. The inscription the face reads ‘Watch and be sober’. Inscription the obverse reads ‘The Association Medal for Fidelity India’.
Note: After 1902 the Victoria Memorial Medal was adopted and used by Indian Organisations of the Royal Army Temperance Association as a Two-Year Medal.

Temperance Medal Ribbon
1889
Physical Description:
• A green ribbon with silver crucifix attached bearing the inscription ‘Presented to the Very Rev. Fr. Columbus [Maher] OSFC / President / Feb. 1889’. The ribbon would have been originally attached to a temperance medal. Fr. Columbus Maher OSFC (1835-1894) was President of the Father Mathew Temperance Association attached to St. Mary of the Angels, Church Street, Dublin.

Newspaper cuttings commemorating Father Mathew

Bound volume containing numerous newspaper clippings mainly re various anniversaries and commemorations connected with Fr. Theobald Mathew OSFC. Many of the clippings also refer to the temperance campaign conducted by the Capuchin friars in the first decade of the twentieth century. The file includes:
• ‘The Father Mathew Memorial Hall / Address by His Grace the Archbishop / Temperance Reform and the New Parliament’, 'Freeman’s Journal', 5 Feb. 1906.
• Printed letter of the Most Rev. Patrick O’Donnell, Bishop of Raphoe, regarding the need for total abstinence. 20 Dec. 1905.
• ‘Temperance / Capuchin Fathers / Archbishop Walsh speaks of their services / Gaelic League’s work’. [Oct. 1905].
• ‘The Temperance Cause / Important Statements by the Bishop of Waterford / His Lordship’s condemnation of Clubs’, 'Cork Examiner', 5 Mar. 1902.
• ‘Total Abstinence Re-Union’, 'The Anglo-Celt', 23 July 1894.
• ‘Lecture by Fr. Nicholas Murphy OSFC in Father Mathew Hall, Dublin’, 12 Apr. 1904.
• ‘The Father Mathew Centenary / Laying the corner-stone of the Memorial Church, Charlotte Quay’, 'Cork Examiner', 7 May 1890.
• ‘The Temperance Question / The Industrial Movement’, 22 Mar. 1904.
• ‘The Father Mathew Centenary / The Celebration in Cork / Mr. John Redmond MP preaches a crusade’, 14 Oct. 1889. Refers to a meeting of the Father Mathew Branch of the League of the Cross held in Halston Street, Dublin, and planning for the centennial celebrations of the birth of Fr. Mathew in 1890.
• ‘The Archbishop of Dublin at Lucan / Blessing of a new cemetery / the temperance movement / Father Mathew’s statue, 'Freeman’s Journal', 12 May 1890. [at p. 26].
• ‘Temperance in Ireland and the Very Rev. P.J. Columbus Maher OSFC’. The file also includes a sketch of the grave-side of Fr. Columbus in Glasnevin Cemetery.
• ‘Diocese of Armidale / Dean Albert Mitchell’s OSFC Installation’.
• ‘The Total Abstinence Movement / St. Finbarr’s West Temperance Club / The Mathew Anniversary’, 'Cork Examiner', 14 Oct. 1902.
• ‘Temperance Cause / Father Mathew Anniversary / Address by Bishop of Achonry’, 'Freeman’s Journal', 10 Oct. 1916.

Minute Book of the Public Meetings Total Abstinence Society

Minute book of the Committee of the Total Abstinence Sodality, Father Mathew Hall, Church Street. The volume includes various newspaper clippings reporting the laying of the foundation stone (2 Feb. 1890) and the opening of Father Mathew Hall, Church Street (25 Jan. 1891). The volume includes clippings from the 'Catholic Times', the 'Freeman’s Journal' and the 'Daily Sketch'. The volume also includes manuscript and newspaper clipping reports of weekly public meetings of the sodality in the Hall. The minutes report resolutions in respect of financial accounts, general administration and the ministering of the pledge to members. The meetings were ordinarily chaired by Fr. Columbus Maher OSFC, President of the Sacred Thirst Abstinence League. The final pages of the volume contain newspaper clippings reporting on the death of Fr. Columbus on 10 Sept. 1894. The clippings also cover his funeral and the various tributes paid to him for his work in promoting temperance.

Ticket for Grand Dramatic Performance

Ticket for ‘A Grand Dramatic Performance’ given by the Dramatic Club at the Father Mathew Centenary Hall, Church Street. Fr. Columbus Maher OSFC (1835-1894) is noted as President of the Hall.

Souvenir Programme for La Verna Fete

Souvenir programme for the La Verna Fete held in the Mansion House, Dublin. The fete was held from 29 Sept. to 6 Oct. 1917 and was a fundraiser in aid of the Father Mathew Hall, Church Street. Printed by Independent Newspapers, Dublin. The programme includes photographic prints of:
Fr. Albert Mitchell OSFC, founder of the Father Mathew Temperance Association, Church Street.
Fr. Columbus Maher OSFC, founder and first President of Father Mathew Hall, 2 Feb. 1890-11 Sept. 1894.
Fr. Matthew O’Connor OSFC, President, 17 Sept. 1894-2 Dec. 1895
Fr. Nicholas Murphy OSFC, 9 Dec. 1895-27 June 1904
Fr. Aloysius Travers OSFC, 4 July 1904-18 Aug. 1913
Joseph Mooney, Vice-President and Honorary Secretary, Father Mathew Hall
Fr. Sylvester Mulligan OSFC, President ‘since 25 August 1913’

Conveyance by William Lygon Pakenham, 4th Earl of Longford and Thomas Vesey, 3rd Viscount de Vesci to Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly

Conveyance by William Lygon Pakenham, 4th Earl of Longford and Thomas Vesey, 3rd Viscount de Vesci to Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly OSFC, Fr. Michael Louis Hennessy OSFC, Fr. James Edward Tommins OSFC, Fr. Patrick Joseph (Columbus) Maher OSFC, Fr. Goodwyn Peter A. Lawless OSFC and Fr. Christopher Augustine Nangle OSFC, all of North King Street, Dublin, of the aforementioned plot of ground on the west side of Church Street whereupon a Roman Catholic Church is built. The deed is for the absolute sale of the property and the conveyance is forever. In consideration of £1,000. Endorsement on the title page reads: ‘Lodged original as security with Mr. O’Meara, Hibernian Bank, for Father Lawless, 22 April 1876’. The file includes a copy of the conveyance which was probably compiled by Terence O’Reilly, solicitors, 5 North Great Georges’ Street.

Declaration of Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly and others

Declaration of Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly OSFC, Fr. Patrick Joseph (Columbus) Maher OSFC, Fr. James Edward Tommins OSFC and Fr. Christopher Augustus Nangle OSFC regarding title to the plot of ground on the west side of Church Street whereupon the Roman Catholic Church known as St. Mary of the Angels now stands. The file also includes a similar declaration by James Spring, 65 Eccles Street, Dublin, certifying that his father Richard Spring, Fr. Daniel Murray and Fr. Nicholas Malone OSFC were assigned the said premises as joint tenants for the residue of the term of 99 years granted in the original lease of 4 Aug. 1826 (See CA CS/2/2/1/2). The declarations refer to an annexed plan with the plot delineated in red and the boundary of St. Mary of the Angels’ Church coloured blue. The plan (22 cm x 24 cm) was drawn by O’Neill & McCarthy, architects, and is endorsed with the signatories of the parties to the declarations. With burial and death certificates for the aforementioned Fr. Nicholas Malone OSFC (date of internment: 6 Nov. 1840); Richard Spring (date of death: 19 Jan. 1864); the Most Rev. Daniel Murray, late Archbishop of Dublin (internment: 1 Apr. 1852).

Solicitor’s costs for the conveyance of Church property

Costs of Thomas J. Furlong, 11 Eustace Street, solicitor, to Fr. Peter (Edward) Bowe OSFC and others for preparing a deed of conveyance to vest Church property in nine members of the community as joint tenants and for a power of attorney from Fr. Anthony (John) Travers OSFC (resident in Tasmania) to Fr. Aloysius (William) Travers OSFC. Total cost: £33 5s 4d. 2 copies. With letters from Thomas J. Furlong to Fr. Angelus Healy OSFC and Fr. Paul Neary OSFC referring to a deed executed by Miss Maher on 19 Aug. 1897 conveying the property bequeathed to her following the death of her brother (Fr. Patrick Joseph Columbus Maher OSFC, died 10 Sept. 1894) to the Capuchin community on Church Street.

Assignment by Catherine Murphy to Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly

Assignment by Catherine Murphy, widow, John Murphy, labourer, Ellen Murphy and Mary Murphy to Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly OSFC, Fr. Joseph Bernard Jennings OSFC and Fr. Patrick Joseph Columbus Maher OSFC, Church Street, of the residue of the lease of premises formerly known as ‘the Swan Inn’, later no. 142 Church Street, measuring twenty 25 feet 11 inches at front, 25 feet 7 inches at rear, and in depth from front to rear 170 feet 11 inches. In consideration of £100. The original lease, dated 26 Feb. 1835, was from Patrick Joseph Nolan to William Hynes for the term of 61 years at the yearly rent of £32. With two draft copies of costs by Terence O’Reilly, solicitor, 5 North Great Georges’ Street, and a note by Catherine Murphy agreeing to dispose of her interest in the aforementioned premises for the sum of £100 payable to her daughter Ellen. With a badly torn draft of said assignment.

Resultaten 21 tot 30 van 41