Mostrando 26 resultados

Descripción archivística
Irish Capuchin Archives Maher, Columbus, 1835-1894, Capuchin priest Unidad documental compuesta
Imprimir vista previa Hierarchy Ver :

3 resultados con objetos digitales Muestra los resultados con objetos digitales

Case of William Butler and the defraying of expenses of new church

The documents relate to a dispute in relation to the will (23 May 1885) of the late William Bruton who bequeathed a legacy of £100 to defray the debt incurred in the construction of St. Mary of the Angels. The executors of the will submitted a case to Richard P. Carton, barrister, who advised that the legacy was void as it was made to a religious order. The file includes a case on behalf of Fr. Tommins and Fr. Maher, surviving grantees in the deed of assignment of 9 July 1875 (see CA CS/2/2/1/10). The case was submitted to J.B. Murphy, 6 Mountjoy Square, barrister, for opinion and reads: ‘It is submitted on behalf of querists that the bequest is not to the religious order, but to the Church which belongs, not to the religious order but to the grantees in the said deed who might, should they so desire convey the same, and as a matter of fact did exercise their right’. With copy correspondence between Terence O’Reilly & Sons, solicitors for the Capuchin friars, and Michael Coyle, 1 Capel Street, solicitor for the executors of William Butler. The file also includes a copy extract from the above-noted will made by Michael Coyle, solicitor. The will extract notes that Butler also bequeathed £200 towards defraying the debt due for the building of the Holy Family Church, Aughrim Street, Dublin.

Newspaper cuttings commemorating Father Mathew

Bound volume containing numerous newspaper clippings mainly re various anniversaries and commemorations connected with Fr. Theobald Mathew OSFC. Many of the clippings also refer to the temperance campaign conducted by the Capuchin friars in the first decade of the twentieth century. The file includes:
• ‘The Father Mathew Memorial Hall / Address by His Grace the Archbishop / Temperance Reform and the New Parliament’, 'Freeman’s Journal', 5 Feb. 1906.
• Printed letter of the Most Rev. Patrick O’Donnell, Bishop of Raphoe, regarding the need for total abstinence. 20 Dec. 1905.
• ‘Temperance / Capuchin Fathers / Archbishop Walsh speaks of their services / Gaelic League’s work’. [Oct. 1905].
• ‘The Temperance Cause / Important Statements by the Bishop of Waterford / His Lordship’s condemnation of Clubs’, 'Cork Examiner', 5 Mar. 1902.
• ‘Total Abstinence Re-Union’, 'The Anglo-Celt', 23 July 1894.
• ‘Lecture by Fr. Nicholas Murphy OSFC in Father Mathew Hall, Dublin’, 12 Apr. 1904.
• ‘The Father Mathew Centenary / Laying the corner-stone of the Memorial Church, Charlotte Quay’, 'Cork Examiner', 7 May 1890.
• ‘The Temperance Question / The Industrial Movement’, 22 Mar. 1904.
• ‘The Father Mathew Centenary / The Celebration in Cork / Mr. John Redmond MP preaches a crusade’, 14 Oct. 1889. Refers to a meeting of the Father Mathew Branch of the League of the Cross held in Halston Street, Dublin, and planning for the centennial celebrations of the birth of Fr. Mathew in 1890.
• ‘The Archbishop of Dublin at Lucan / Blessing of a new cemetery / the temperance movement / Father Mathew’s statue, 'Freeman’s Journal', 12 May 1890. [at p. 26].
• ‘Temperance in Ireland and the Very Rev. P.J. Columbus Maher OSFC’. The file also includes a sketch of the grave-side of Fr. Columbus in Glasnevin Cemetery.
• ‘Diocese of Armidale / Dean Albert Mitchell’s OSFC Installation’.
• ‘The Total Abstinence Movement / St. Finbarr’s West Temperance Club / The Mathew Anniversary’, 'Cork Examiner', 14 Oct. 1902.
• ‘Temperance Cause / Father Mathew Anniversary / Address by Bishop of Achonry’, 'Freeman’s Journal', 10 Oct. 1916.

Minute Book of the Public Meetings Total Abstinence Society

Minute book of the Committee of the Total Abstinence Sodality, Father Mathew Hall, Church Street. The volume includes various newspaper clippings reporting the laying of the foundation stone (2 Feb. 1890) and the opening of Father Mathew Hall, Church Street (25 Jan. 1891). The volume includes clippings from the 'Catholic Times', the 'Freeman’s Journal' and the 'Daily Sketch'. The volume also includes manuscript and newspaper clipping reports of weekly public meetings of the sodality in the Hall. The minutes report resolutions in respect of financial accounts, general administration and the ministering of the pledge to members. The meetings were ordinarily chaired by Fr. Columbus Maher OSFC, President of the Sacred Thirst Abstinence League. The final pages of the volume contain newspaper clippings reporting on the death of Fr. Columbus on 10 Sept. 1894. The clippings also cover his funeral and the various tributes paid to him for his work in promoting temperance.

Souvenir Programme for La Verna Fete

Souvenir programme for the La Verna Fete held in the Mansion House, Dublin. The fete was held from 29 Sept. to 6 Oct. 1917 and was a fundraiser in aid of the Father Mathew Hall, Church Street. Printed by Independent Newspapers, Dublin. The programme includes photographic prints of:
Fr. Albert Mitchell OSFC, founder of the Father Mathew Temperance Association, Church Street.
Fr. Columbus Maher OSFC, founder and first President of Father Mathew Hall, 2 Feb. 1890-11 Sept. 1894.
Fr. Matthew O’Connor OSFC, President, 17 Sept. 1894-2 Dec. 1895
Fr. Nicholas Murphy OSFC, 9 Dec. 1895-27 June 1904
Fr. Aloysius Travers OSFC, 4 July 1904-18 Aug. 1913
Joseph Mooney, Vice-President and Honorary Secretary, Father Mathew Hall
Fr. Sylvester Mulligan OSFC, President ‘since 25 August 1913’

Leases by Ambrose Moore O’Ferrall to Fr. William (Paul) Neary and others

Leases by Ambrose Moore O’Ferrall, Balyna, County Kildare, to Fr. William (Paul) Neary OSFC, Fr. Nicholas Murphy OSFC, Fr. Patrick Joseph (Columbus) Maher OSFC and Fr. Joseph (Bernard) Jennings OSFC, St. Mary of the Angels, Church Street, Dublin, of the ‘houses known as number 133 and number 134 Church Street (old) with the yard at the rear thereof extending to Bow Street on which the house facing Bow Street and formerly known as number 27 on said street formerly stood … coloured green in the map delineated … [and] secondly the plot of ground on the east side of Bow Street on which the two houses formerly known as numbers 22 and 23 Bow Street stood, and also the plot of ground on which the Charity School formerly stood with passage thereto and on which the Presbytery attached to the Church of St. Mary of the Angels, Church Street, or a portion of it now stands … coloured pink in the map delineated’, for 300 years and in consideration of the sum of £719 12s 0d and at the yearly rent of £51 8s. With annexed hand-coloured map of the premises referred to in the said lease. Scale(s): 44 feet to 1 inch; 16 feet to 1 inch.

Conveyance by William Lygon Pakenham, 4th Earl of Longford and Thomas Vesey, 3rd Viscount de Vesci to Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly

Conveyance by William Lygon Pakenham, 4th Earl of Longford and Thomas Vesey, 3rd Viscount de Vesci to Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly OSFC, Fr. Michael Louis Hennessy OSFC, Fr. James Edward Tommins OSFC, Fr. Patrick Joseph (Columbus) Maher OSFC, Fr. Goodwyn Peter A. Lawless OSFC and Fr. Christopher Augustine Nangle OSFC, all of North King Street, Dublin, of the aforementioned plot of ground on the west side of Church Street whereupon a Roman Catholic Church is built. The deed is for the absolute sale of the property and the conveyance is forever. In consideration of £1,000. Endorsement on the title page reads: ‘Lodged original as security with Mr. O’Meara, Hibernian Bank, for Father Lawless, 22 April 1876’. The file includes a copy of the conveyance which was probably compiled by Terence O’Reilly, solicitors, 5 North Great Georges’ Street.

Declaration of Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly and others

Declaration of Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly OSFC, Fr. Patrick Joseph (Columbus) Maher OSFC, Fr. James Edward Tommins OSFC and Fr. Christopher Augustus Nangle OSFC regarding title to the plot of ground on the west side of Church Street whereupon the Roman Catholic Church known as St. Mary of the Angels now stands. The file also includes a similar declaration by James Spring, 65 Eccles Street, Dublin, certifying that his father Richard Spring, Fr. Daniel Murray and Fr. Nicholas Malone OSFC were assigned the said premises as joint tenants for the residue of the term of 99 years granted in the original lease of 4 Aug. 1826 (See CA CS/2/2/1/2). The declarations refer to an annexed plan with the plot delineated in red and the boundary of St. Mary of the Angels’ Church coloured blue. The plan (22 cm x 24 cm) was drawn by O’Neill & McCarthy, architects, and is endorsed with the signatories of the parties to the declarations. With burial and death certificates for the aforementioned Fr. Nicholas Malone OSFC (date of internment: 6 Nov. 1840); Richard Spring (date of death: 19 Jan. 1864); the Most Rev. Daniel Murray, late Archbishop of Dublin (internment: 1 Apr. 1852).

Solicitor’s costs for the conveyance of Church property

Costs of Thomas J. Furlong, 11 Eustace Street, solicitor, to Fr. Peter (Edward) Bowe OSFC and others for preparing a deed of conveyance to vest Church property in nine members of the community as joint tenants and for a power of attorney from Fr. Anthony (John) Travers OSFC (resident in Tasmania) to Fr. Aloysius (William) Travers OSFC. Total cost: £33 5s 4d. 2 copies. With letters from Thomas J. Furlong to Fr. Angelus Healy OSFC and Fr. Paul Neary OSFC referring to a deed executed by Miss Maher on 19 Aug. 1897 conveying the property bequeathed to her following the death of her brother (Fr. Patrick Joseph Columbus Maher OSFC, died 10 Sept. 1894) to the Capuchin community on Church Street.

Assignment by Catherine Murphy to Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly

Assignment by Catherine Murphy, widow, John Murphy, labourer, Ellen Murphy and Mary Murphy to Fr. Daniel Patrick O’Reilly OSFC, Fr. Joseph Bernard Jennings OSFC and Fr. Patrick Joseph Columbus Maher OSFC, Church Street, of the residue of the lease of premises formerly known as ‘the Swan Inn’, later no. 142 Church Street, measuring twenty 25 feet 11 inches at front, 25 feet 7 inches at rear, and in depth from front to rear 170 feet 11 inches. In consideration of £100. The original lease, dated 26 Feb. 1835, was from Patrick Joseph Nolan to William Hynes for the term of 61 years at the yearly rent of £32. With two draft copies of costs by Terence O’Reilly, solicitor, 5 North Great Georges’ Street, and a note by Catherine Murphy agreeing to dispose of her interest in the aforementioned premises for the sum of £100 payable to her daughter Ellen. With a badly torn draft of said assignment.

Temperance Fliers, Pastoral Letters and Mission Cards

The file includes various fliers, pastoral letters, mission cards and ephemera relating primarily to various temperance associations, and missions and retreats including the Father Mathew Temperance Sodality and the Young Irish Crusaders attached to the Capuchin Friary, Church Street, Dublin. The file includes:
• Pastoral letters on temperance composed by various Irish Bishops in 1900 including Patrick Joseph O’Donnell, Bishop of Raphoe, Robert Browne, Bishop of Cloyne, Richard Alphonsus Sheehan, Bishop of Waterford and Lismore, and John Keys O’Doherty, Bishop of Derry.
• Souvenir of the National Temperance Crusade preached by the Franciscan Capuchin Fathers (c.1906).
• Midwinter greeting to the Priests’ Total Abstinence League of America (31 Jan. 1908).
• Flier for Grand Abstinence Demonstration, Armagh (27 June 1909).
• Flier for St. Michael’s Temperance Society, Lower Cecil Street, Limerick (1909).
• Circular from the Most Rev. Thomas O’Dea (1858-1923), Bishop of Galway, to the clergy of the diocese re the Capuchin Temperance Mission. 8 Aug. 1909.
• Indulgences granted to temperance sodalities established by the Franciscan Capuchin Fathers.
• Souvenir of retreat for the Children of Mary attached to the Convent of St. Camillus, St. Patrick’s Kilkenny (8 Dec. 1915).
• The Catholic Bishops on Intemperance.
• Souvenir of the Temperance Crusade held at Kilmacow, County Kilkenny / 6th to 13th July 1913.
• Father Mathew Temperance Association in honour of the Sacred Thirst / Object, Means and Constitution of the Association (Nov. 1913).
• Souvenir of the General Mission for Men and Women held in St. Mary of the Angels, Church Street, Dublin (25 Jan. 1914).
• Enrolment card for the National Catholic Total Abstinence Congress, Dublin (June 1914). The card also gives details of the proceedings of the congress which closed with an address by Fr. Aloysius Travers OSFC, Provincial Minister.
• Ceremonial and instructions for Capuchin Fathers conducting Missions and Retreats. (24 Jan. 1912).
• Flier for Devotions at St. Augustine’s Church Galway on the Feast of Our Lady of Good Counsel (26 April 1915).
• Annual retreat of the Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis (6 Oct. 1918).
• A week-long mission at the Church of Our Immaculate Lady of Refuge, Rathmines, Dublin.
• Temperance Rallying Songs published The Father Mathew Record Office, Church Street, Dublin. Words by Brian O’Higgins and music by Arthur Darley.
• Rules of St. Patrick Total Abstinence Society, Dundalk (May 1909).
• The Amethyst / a temperance lecture by Fr. Matthew Russell SJ. A manuscript note on the final page reads: ‘Recited in the Father Mathew OSFC Centenary Memorial Hall, Church Street, May 21st, 1894 by the Rev. Author before it was printed. Fr. Columbus Maher’.
• The Anti-Saloon League and its work / what position should our Catholic Total Abstinence Societies assume towards it? Speech given by John. T. Shea. Published by the CTU of America, Massachusetts. Aug. 1908.
• Flier for a Lenten mission given by Capuchin Fathers from Cork at the Corpus Christi Votive Basilica, (Corpus Christi Priory), Manchester. Feb. 1921.
• The Father Mathew Man, no. 19 (Nov. 1924). Published in Chicago.
• A Solemn Novena in honour of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in the Church of Saint Simon Stock / 182nd Street, Bronx, New York / Saturday, July 10th to Sunday, July 18th 1926. The sermons were given by Fr. Thomas Dowling OFM Cap.
• A remembrance of the mission preached by the Capuchin Fathers in the Pro-Cathedral, Dublin. 2-30 Mar. 1941.
• Young Irish Crusaders Prayer Book (St. Mary of the Angels, Church Street, Dublin, 1954).

Resultados 11 a 20 de 26