Print preview Close

Showing 262 results

Archival description
Papers of Ard Mhuire Capuchin Friary, County Donegal
Print preview Hierarchy View:

119 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Contract with Irish Shell Ltd.

Letter from Irish Shell Ltd. to Fr. Pacificus Jennings OFM Cap., guardian, Ard Mhuire Friary, enclosing a contract agreement for the supply of fuel oil to the friary.

Copy Circular Letter from Provincial Minister

Copy circular letter from Fr. Kevin Moynihan OFM Cap., Provincial Minister, announcing the purchase of Ards House by the Capuchin Order. The letter reads:

'It is more than 350 years since the Franciscans laboured “for the glory of God, and the honour of Erin” in the historic Abbey of Donegal. Now they are returning and let us hope that this new Friary of the Order will be a centre of spiritual force, the influence of which will be felt, not only in Tirconaill, but in the whole of the north of Ireland'.

He also expresses his gratitude to Fr. Aloysius Travers OFM Cap. whose ‘untiring energy’ ensured the acquisition of the property. A note (added by Fr. Angelus Healy OFM Cap.) states that a meeting of the Provincial Definitory on 5 Mar. 1930 confirmed the plan to purchase of Ards House for a canonical foundation. It is also noted that Fr. Colman Griffin OFM Cap. was appointed guardian of the new foundation.

Moynihan, Kevin, 1877-1959, Capuchin priest

Copy Extract from Register of Freeholders

Copy extract from the Register of Freeholders re ‘a right to pass and repass on foot and with horses or other animals … over parts of the lands of Cashelmore and Doocashel Glebe’ in County Donegal. It is noted that the Capuchin friars are the owners of these lands by a deed registered on 14 Jan. 1931.

Copy Ordnance Survey Map

Scale: 6 inches to 1 mile
Sheet No.: Donegal, Sheet No. 26
Copy ordnance survey map (Dublin, 2nd ed., 1905) showing the Ards Estate and surrounding townlands and localities. Notable features include Ards House and demesne, Ards farm, the largely forested estate, St. Michael’s Catholic Church, Cashelmore, Doe Castle, Sheephaven Bay, and Creeslough.

Corn Harvesting, Ard Mhuire Friary

A view of corn harvesting in the fields around Ard Mhuire Capuchin Friary in August 1940. The photograph is captioned (left to right) Paddy McGinley, Paddy Ward, Br. Ronan McCabe OFM Cap., Willie Barr and Anton McBride.

Correspondence of Ard Mhuire Friary Guardian

Correspondence Fr. Thomas Rocks OFM Cap., Guardian, Ard Mhuire Capuchin Friary, with Fr. Brendan O’Mahony OFM Cap., Provincial Minister, and Fr. Nicholas O’Brien OFM Cap., Provincial Secretary, mostly regarding property and financial matters pertaining to the Ards foundation. The subjects include improvements to the Friary and Retreat House, the potential sale of a tract of land called ‘Manus Lough’, the financial demands of the Ards community, the leasing of a camping site to the CBSI, and the potential lease of the disused pier at Sheephaven Bay. The file includes a schedule denoting the subventions from the Provincial (Central) Fund to the Ard Mhuire building fund from 1950-77. A letter (18 Feb. 1977) from Fr. Nicholas reads:
'The first agreement for the use of the pier (then known as “the flagstaff”) was made by the then Guardian – Fr. Cassian O’Shea, [who was guardian from 1937-43] with “Irish Minerals Co.” of Arklow. … And it was during this time that the pier as we know it today was constructed including the extension back to the friary grounds and the protecting wall – later the shed and repair workshop was added'.

Correspondence re Aerial Photographs of Ard Mhuire Friary

Correspondence of Fr. David Kelleher OFM Cap. with P.J. McLoughlin & Company, Ardnacassa, Longford, Mount Salus Press Ltd., Sandymount, Dublin 4, and Aerofilms Ltd., 6 Elstree Way, Borehma Wood, Hertfordshire, re the taking of aerial photographs of Ard Mhuire Friary for reproduction in postcard prints.

Results 51 to 60 of 262