Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Irish province of the Vincentian Community was founded in 1833, inspired by the work of Vincent de Paul, who had founded the Vincentians in France in 1625. https://vincentians.ie/who-we-are/the-history-of-the-irish-vincentians/
Castleknock had been the Vincentian Seminary from 1835 until 1873, when St Joseph’s Seminary College, Blackrock, was purchased. The building was found to be too small for the number of students, and a second building, which has been subsequently again demolished, was built in 1887. This second building was used for classes, for a residence for the students and had a chapel. The older building, Prospect House, was then used as the priests’ residence. It had previously been a Protestant School.
In 1977, the seminary college moved to De Paul House, Celbridge, and the Vincentian residence moved to 44 Stillorgan Park, Blackrock.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
In general the material came from Saint Joseph's Seminary, Blackrock, but it is not recorded when or by whom.
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Originally arranged and described by Father Tom Davitt CM into a detailed box list. These were used by a subsequent Assistant Archivist to create a typed version. Over the years, any additions and changes had been made by writing them in, and more detail was added to make the catalogue more useful.