Showing 277 results

Authority record

John Mary Harty

  • IE CEM 1
  • Person
  • 1867-1946

John Mary Harty was born in Murroe, County Limerick in 1867. He received his education at Jesuit College, Limerick, Saint Patrick's College, Thurles, and Maynooth. He entered First Philosophy on 1 September 1887 and was ordained priest on 20 May 1894 in Clonliffe College, Dublin, by Dr. William Walsh of Dublin. The next year, after a competitive examination, he was appointed to the Chair of Dogmatic Theology in Maynooth, the year after ordination being spent in postgraduate study in Dunboyne.

He published treatises on Grace and on the Sacraments. Later he was appointed Senior Professor of Moral Theology and held this chair till his appointment as Archbishop on the resignation of Dr. Fennell. The voting of P.P.'s for new Bishop was Dr. Harty, Maynooth College - 20; Dr. John Slattery, Thurles College - 10; Rev. Tom F. Power P.P. V.F. Galbally - 8; Mgr. Riordan, Rector, Irish College, Rome - 2; Canon Arthur Ryan P.P. V.G. - 6. Tipperary - 1; Dr. Kelly, Bishop of Ross - 1.

Dr. Harty was appointed in November 1913 and consecrated in Thurles on 8 January 1914 by Archbishop Fennelly. After consecration the priests of the Archdiocese presented him with a motor car costing Ł500. His gentle manners and kindly disposition endeared him to all - both clergy and laity. For a number of years before his death, ill-health restricted his activities. He requested a Coadjutor from the Holy See, indicating that his wish was Dr. Jeremiah Kinnane, Bishop of Waterford since 1932, and a priest of the Archdiocese. In 1942, the Holy See acceded to his wish and Dr. Kinnane resigned his see of Waterford and became Coadjutor Archbishop of Cashel and titular Archbishop of Dercos and Dean of Cashel Diocesan Chapter, with Cashel as his parish.

Totally confined to the Archbishop's Palace by progressive debility from this period till his death on 1 September 1946, Archbishop Harty died aged 79 years. He was for many years President of the Catholic Truth Society of Ireland (from 14 October1914) and Patron of G.A.A. from 1928.

Dr. Harty received letter of appointment as Archbishop on 2 December 1913, and Bulls of appointment on 8 December 1913. The Bulls stated that perpetual administration of the see of Emly is attached to the see of Cashel. Dr. Harty had Pallasgreen and Solohead as mensal parishes - latter permitted by Rome (January 1915) while Dr. Fennelly lived.

From: http://homepage.eircom.net/~cashelemly/jmharty.htm

Shine, William Patrick, 1843-1905, Presentation Brother

  • IE PB P/28
  • Person
  • 20 July 1843-20 April 1905

Born: 20 July 1843 in Kilbaha, Moyvane, County Kerry
Entered: 10 February 1868, South Monastery, Cork
Reception: [?August] 1868
Professed: 27 August 1870
Died: 20 April 1905, Mount St Joseph, Cork
Interred: Blessed Edmund Rice Cemetery, Mount St Joseph, Cork

Buckley, Fergus, 1916-1992, Capuchin brother

  • IE CA DB/FB
  • Person
  • 4 February 1916-16 October 1992

Baptismal name: Jeremiah Buckley
Religious name: Br. Fergus Buckley OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 4 Feb. 1916
Place of birth: Kilnamartyra, Macroom, County Cork (Diocese of Cloyne)
Name of father: Patrick Buckley
Name of mother: Mary Buckley (née Healy)
Date of reception into the Capuchin Order: 25 May 1936
Date of first profession: 21 May 1937
Date of final profession: 21 May 1940
Missionary activities: Travelled to Barotseland, Northern Rhodesia (later Zambia), on 12 Nov. 1943. He returned to Ireland on 21 July 1983.
Leadership positions: Councillor, Livingstone Mission, Zambia, 1973-6, 1976-9
Date of death: 16 Oct. 1992
Place of death: Raheny, Dublin
Place of burial: Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin

Mulligan, Bertram, 1922-2016, Capuchin priest

  • IE CA DB/BM
  • Person
  • 15 June 1922-29 October 2016

Kevin Mulligan was born in Dundalk in County Louth on 15 June 1922. He joined the Capuchin Franciscan Order in October 1941, took Betram as his religious name, and made his solemn vows on 4 October 1945. He was ordained to the priesthood on 16 June 1949. In September 1949 he was sent from Ireland to serve as associate pastor at St. Joseph’s Church in Roseburg in Oregon in the United States. His life in ministry in America was mostly connected with parish work. He served as associate pastor at St. Mary’s in Ukiah, California, and in Our Lady of Angels Parish in Hermiston, Oregon. Afterwards, he served as a pastor in St. Aloysius Church in Point Arena, California, in Our Lady of Good Counsel Church in Fort Bragg, California, and in Our Lady of Angels Church in Burlingame, California. He also served as a councillor in the Irish Capuchin mission custody in the United States on three separate occasions. Subsequently, he was appointed as a chaplain at the Veterans Hospital in Fresno in California. He was also the first guardian of St. Francis of Assisi Friary in Burlingame in California. In 1998 he was appointed Provincial Archivist for the Western America Capuchin Province. In 2007 he retired to the Mercy Care and Retirement Centre in Oakland, California, where he died on 29 October 2016. He was buried in the cemetery attached to San Lorenzo Seminary at Mission Santa Inés, California.

Baptismal name: Kevin Mulligan
Religious name: Fr. Bertram Mulligan OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 15 June 1922
Place of birth: Dundalk, County Louth
Name of father: Joseph Mulligan
Name of mother: Margaret Mulligan (née Watters)
Date of reception into the Capuchin Order: 3 Oct. 1941
Date of first profession: 4 Oct. 1942
Date of final profession: 4 Oct. 1945
Date of ordination (as priest): 16 June 1949 (St. Eunan’s Cathedral, Letterkenny, County Donegal)
Educational attainments: BA (1945)
Missionary activities: Travelled to the Irish Capuchin mission custody in the Western United States on 5 Sept. 1949
Date of death: 29 Oct. 2016
Place of death: Oakland, California, United States
Place of burial: Cemetery, attached to San Lorenzo Seminary, Mission Santa Inés, California, United States

Murtagh, Virgilius, 1896-1972, Capuchin priest

  • IE CA DB/100
  • Person
  • 6 November 1896-3 September 1972

Hugh Murtagh was born in Abbeylara in County Longford on 6 November 1896. James Murtagh, an elder brother, joined the Capuchin Franciscans in 1910 and took Stephen as his religious name. Fr. Stephen Murtagh OFM Cap. was transferred to the Irish Capuchin mission custody in the Western United States in 1920 and spent his entire life in ministry in America. Hugh Murtagh followed in his older brother’s footsteps and joined the Order in September 1915. Taking Virgilius as his religious name, he was ordained to the priesthood in June 1924. Following his ordination, he spent some time in Rochestown Friary in County Cork where he had charge of the local Temperance Hall. He devoted most of his religious life to the education of novice friars, first as vice-master, and from 1934 as master of lay novices in Kilkenny. He was appointed President of Father Mathew Temperance Hall adjoining the Church Street Friary in Dublin in 1940 and held this position for three years. He also served as secretary of the Foreign Missions Office and was later appointed guardian (local superior) of the communities in Dublin, Kilkenny and in Ard Mhuire in County Donegal. He was appointed manager of the Capuchin Publications Office (which had charge of ‘The Capuchin Annual’ periodical) in 1955. He was also several times elected to the office of Provincial Definitor (1952-70). He died in the Church Street Friary on 3 September 1972 and was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

Baptismal name: Hugh Murtagh
Religious name: Fr. Virgilius Murtagh OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 6 Nov. 1896
Place of birth: Ballyboy, Abbeylara, County Longford (Diocese of Ardagh)
Name of father: James Murtagh (Farmer)
Name of mother: Mary Murtagh (née Crawford)
Date of reception into the Capuchin Order: 8 Sept. 1915
Date of first profession: 17 Sept. 1916
Date of final profession: 12 Oct. 1919
Date of ordination (as priest): 14 June 1924
Educational attainments: BA (1920)
Leadership positions: Provincial Definitor (Councillor): 1952-5, 1955-8, 1961-4, 1964-7, 1967-70; Custos General: 1949-52.
Date of death: 3 Sept. 1972
Place of death: Church Street Friary, Dublin
Place of burial: Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin

Murtagh, Stephen, 1894-1980, Capuchin priest

  • IE CA DB/77
  • Person
  • 16 March 1894-4 March 1980

James Murtagh was born in Abbeylara in County Longford on 16 March 1894. He received his early education at the local national school in Abbeylara and later at the Seraphic College in Rochestown in County Cork. He joined the Capuchin Franciscans in October 1910 and took Stephen as his religious name. He took a BA degree in philosophy from University College Cork. He was ordained to the priesthood in Holy Trinity Church in Cork on 3 May 1918. Shortly after his ordination, he was assigned to the United States mission and was appointed associate pastor at Our Lady of Angels Parish in Hermiston in Oregon. In 1937 he succeeded Fr. Joseph Fenlon OFM Cap. as Custos Provincial, a position he held until 1956 when Fr. Emilian Meade OFM Cap. succeeded him. During his nineteen-year term Fr. Stephen served as pastor of St. Francis of Assisi Parish located in the heart of Silver Lake, near Downtown Los Angeles. He was instrumental in establishing Saint Francis of Assisi Catholic Elementary School which opened on 6 September 1938. He also oversaw the opening of the friary at McKenzie Bridge in Oregon in 1937. This foundation never developed due in part to its isolated location. In 1954 he withdrew the Capuchin friars from there, handing over the staffing of the house to the Dominican Order. In 1947 Fr. Stephen supervised the seminary experiment at Old Mission Santa Inés near Solvang in California. Despite the expectations, it was not a success, and it was closed just a year later in 1948. However, he did have one lasting success – St. Francis High School in La Cañada Flintridge, California. In 1946 he bought the old Flintridge Golf Club and established a school. It was the beginning of the firm establishment of the Capuchin mission and the eventual growth of what would become the Western American Province of the Order on the Pacific coast. Following the completion of his term as Custos Provincial he served as pastor of St. Francis Parish in Bend, Oregon (1957-66). His last years were spent at St. Francis High School, where he died on 4 March 1980. He is buried in the cemetery adjoining San Lorenzo Seminary at Mission Santa Inés, California.

Baptismal name: James Murtagh
Religious name: Fr. Stephen Murtagh OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 16 Mar. 1894
Place of birth: Ballyboy, Abbeylara, County Longford (Diocese of Ardagh)
Name of father: James Murtagh (Farmer)
Name of mother: Mary Murtagh (née Crawford)
Date of reception into the Capuchin Order: 16 Oct. 1910
Date of first profession: 17 Sept. 1911
Date of final profession: 8 July 1916
Date of ordination (as priest): 3 May 1918
Educational attainments: BA (1915)
Missionary activities: Travelled to the Western United States mission custody in May 1920.
Leadership positions: Custos General: 1937; Custos Provincial: 1937-43, 1946, 1949, 1952, 1955.
Date of death: 4 Mar. 1980
Place of death: St. Francis High School, La Cañada Flintridge, California, United States
Place of burial: Cemetery, Mission Santa Inés, California, United States

Murphy, Theodore, 1912-1993, Capuchin priest

  • IE CA DB/188
  • Person
  • 12 October 1912-18 February 1993

James Murphy was born in Newry in County Down on 12 October 1912. He entered the Irish Capuchin novitiate in October 1930 and took Theodore as his religious name. He spent the three years of his simple profession in St. Bonaventure’s taking his BA degree in University College Cork. He made his solemn profession in October 1934. There followed four years of theological studies at Ard Mhuire Friary in County Donegal. He was ordained to the priesthood in June 1938. Following his ordination in St. Eunan’s Cathedral in Letterkenny, County Donegal, Fr. Theodore volunteered for missionary work abroad. At the invitation of Archbishop Sylvester Mulligan OFM Cap. he went to work with the English Capuchins in the Archdiocese of Delhi and Simla in India. He returned to Ireland after thirteen years of difficult missionary work (1938-51). Following a brief stint as Vice Master of Novices in Rochestown in County Cork during 1952, he was assigned to the Church Street community in Dublin for three years. He spent eighteen years teaching religion at the School of Marketing in Parnell Square in Dublin while residing in Raheny Hostel (1955-74). He was also superior of the Rahney community for three of those years (1958-61) as well as being an active promoter of the Seraphic Mass Association (SMA). In 1974, he was transferred back to Church Street and took up a chaplaincy role in St. Brendan’s Psychiatric Hospital. He continued in this role until 1979. He died in the Church Street Friary on 18 February 1993 and was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

Baptismal name: James Murphy
Religious name: Fr. Theodore Murphy OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 12 Oct. 1912
Place of birth: Newry, County Down (Diocese of Dromore)
Name of father: Thomas Murphy (Soldier)
Name of mother: Catherine Murphy (née McMahon)
Date of reception into the Capuchin Order: 3 Oct. 1930
Date of first profession:4 Oct. 1941
Date of final profession: 4 Oct. 1934
Date of ordination (as priest): 19 June 1938
Educational attainments: BA (1934)
Missionary activities: Travelled to the Archdiocese of Delhi and Simla on 3 Oct. 1938. He returned to Ireland in January 1952.
Date of death: 18 Feb. 1993
Place of death: Church Street Friary, Dublin
Place of burial: Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin

Griffin, Colman, 1886-1971, Capuchin priest

  • IE CA DB/54
  • Person
  • 16 January 1958-24 August 1971

Thomas Griffin was born in the town of Doneraile in County Cork on 16 January 1886. He joined the Capuchin Franciscans in February 1903 and took Colman as his religious name. Having took his solemn vows in July 1908, he was ordained to the priesthood in May 1910. He subsequently pursued further theological studies at the International Capuchin College in Rome and received a Doctorate in Divinity (DD) from the Pontifical Gregorian University in the Italian capital. On his return to Ireland in 1914, he taught as a professor in theology in the Seraphic College in Rochestown, County Cork. He spent the greater part of his life teaching friars dogmatic theology both as a professor and as a director of students and master of novices. He held many senior leadership positions in the Order in Ireland and was several times guardian and vicar of various Capuchin communities. He was chosen as the first guardian (local superior) of the new Ard Mhuire foundation which was established in County Donegal in 1930. He was appointed superior of the newly established Raheny Hostel in Dublin in 1946. Fr. Colman was elected five times as a Provincial Definitor (Councillor) and served four terms as Provincial Minister (1937-40, 1940-3, 1949-51, 1952-5). He died in Raheny on 24 August 1971 and was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin.

Baptismal name: Thomas Griffin
Religious name: Fr. Colman Griffin OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 16 Jan. 1886
Place of birth: Doneraile, County Cork (Diocese of Cloyne)
Name of father: Humphrey Griffin (Farmer)
Name of mother: Anne Griffin (née Carmody)
Date of reception into Capuchin Order: 19 Feb. 1903
Date of first profession: 19 Mar. 1904
Date of final profession: 31 July 1908
Date of ordination (as priest): 29 May 1910
Education attainments: BA (Royal University of Ireland, Cork, 1908); Doctorate in Divinity (Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, 1914)
Leadership positions: Provincial Definitor (Councillor): 1925-8, 1928-31, 1931-4, 1934-7, 1946-9; Provincial Minister: 1937-40, 1940-3, 1949-51, 1952-5; Custos General: 1943-6, 1955-8.
Date of death: 24 Aug. 1971
Place of death: Raheny, Dublin
Place of burial: Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin

O’Sullivan, Ephrem, 1904-1958, Capuchin priest

  • IE CA DB/146
  • Person
  • 20 March 1904-12 July 1958

John Joseph O’Sullivan was born on 23 March 1904 in the town of Charleville in County Cork. His initial education was in the local national school and later at the Capuchin College in Rochestown, County Cork. He was an active member of the Fianna Éireann organisation in Cork during the War of Independence. He joined the Capuchin Order in Kilkenny in September 1923 and took Ephrem as his religious name. After his ordination in Cork in 1931 he was transferred to the Irish Capuchin mission custody in the Western United States where he ministered for several years. In 1936 he was appointed a pastor in the Sacred Heart parish in Lincoln, Nebraska. He held this position for only one year (1937) since financial difficulties and other considerations forced the Capuchin friars to withdraw from the Lincoln Diocese. After leaving Nebraska he assisted in parish missions and novenas. In 1938 Ephrem returned to Ireland and joined the community residing in St. Mary of the Angels Friary on Church Street in Dublin. He also resided for brief periods in both Kilkenny and in the Ard Mhuire Friary in County Donegal. He died in St. John of God Hospital in Stillorgan, County Dublin, on 12 July 1958 and was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

Baptismal name: John Joseph O’Sullivan
Religious name: Fr. Ephrem O’Sullivan OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 20 Mar. 1904
Place of birth: Charleville, County Cork (Diocese of Cloyne)
Name of father: Michael O’Sullivan (Signalman)
Name of mother: Catherine O’Sullivan (née McDermott)
Date of reception into Capuchin Order: 17 Sept. 1923
Date of first profession: 18 Sept. 1924
Date of final profession: 18 Sept. 1927
Date of ordination (as priest): 29 June 1931
Educational attainments: BA, NUI (1927)
Missionary activity: Travelled to the mission custody in the Western United States on 20 Nov. 1932. Returned to Ireland in 1938.
Date of death: 12 July 1958
Place of death: St. John of God Hospital, Stillorgan, County Dublin
Place of burial: Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin

Kerwick, Vincent, 1883-1965, Capuchin priest

  • IE CA DB/78
  • Person
  • 22 September 1883-4 May 1965

Francis Kerwick was born in Kilkenny city on 22 September 1883. He joined the Capuchin Franciscans in 1911, took Vincent as his religious name, and was ordained to the priesthood after the completion of his studies in March 1919. The following year he was assigned to the Capuchin mission custody in the United States. Most of his ministry was in Oregon. He was assigned to Hermiston from 1921 to 1924 working primarily in parish ministry. From 1926 to 1928 he ministered in the city of Bend in Oregon. While driving near McKenzie Bridge in Oregon state, he was involved in a serious accident when his car ran off the highway. He was rescued in time and narrowly escaped dying at the scene. From 1950 to 1951 he was pastor of St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Bend. Later, he was assigned to help the friars working in Los Angeles in California. Here he had another serious accident when he fell and severely injured his foot while getting off a streetcar. His last days were spent in Saint John of God of Rest Home in Los Angeles. He died on 4 May 1965 and was buried in Cavalry Cemetery in Los Angeles.

Baptismal name: Francis Kerwick
Name in religion: Fr. Vincent Kerwick OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 22 Sept. 1883
Place of birth: Kilkenny (Diocese of Ossory)
Name of father: Daniel Kerwick (Tea and Grocery Merchant)
Name of mother: Ellen Kerwick (née Lyons)
Date of reception into the Capuchin Order: 2 Sept. 1911
Date of first profession: 17 Sept. 1912
Date of final profession: 8 July 1916
Date of ordination: 15 Mar. 1919
Missionary activity: Travelled to the mission custody in the Western United States in 1920.
Date of death: 4 May 1965
Place of burial: Calvary Cemetery, Los Angeles, California

Results 21 to 30 of 277