Showing 294 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Persoon · 1846-1925

Richard Bodkin was born in Limerick in 1846.
He died 29 March 1925.

Biographical notes for him in Colloque No. 58, mentioning the portrait visible above, are as follows:

'Richard Creagh Bodkin (Castleknock, 1925, aged 79) was born in 1846
in Limerick. He was educated in Castleknock, spending eleven years
there from the age of ten till the end of his philosophy! He joined the
community in Paris in 1865. He was ordained in 1870 and was appointed
to St Vincent’s Seminary, Cork. After five years he was appointed to
Castleknock, and remained there until his death fifty-five years later.
He was vice-president for sixteen years and prefect of studies for two,
but most of his half century there was as a teacher. Science was his
main subject and he gradually built up an excellently equipped science
hall, mainly with his personal money. He also used his money for the
purchase of library books. Later on he taught senior religion classes, and
published The Great Fundamental Truths of Religion, of which a new
edition came out in 1911. He also published How to Reason, or the ABC
of Logic (1906) and Logic for All (1911). He stocked the priests’ library
with very well-chosen books. When Monsieur L Beyaert of Bruges (first
name not known to me) was staying in the college painting the Stations
of the Cross he was intrigued by Fr Bodkin, and he used to observe him
closely at meals. He decided to paint his portrait secretly, and when he
had finished the Stations and was leaving, he presented his portrait of Fr
Bodkin to the college.'

IE CA DB/RH · Persoon · 18 September 1863-17 March 1916

Richard Henebry (Risteard de Hindeberg) was born on 18 September 1863 in Portlaw, County Waterford, the fourth of six children of Pierce Henebry, a farmer, and Ellen Henebry (née Cashen) of Clogheen in County Tipperary. At the age of twenty-one, Richard Henebry entered St. John’s College in Waterford to study for the priesthood, where Canon Patrick Power (1862-1951) was among his contemporaries. He subsequently won a scholarship to finish his studies in St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth. He graduated from All Hallows College in Dublin in 1892. Henebry briefly served on the English mission before he was offered the inaugural Chair of Celtic Studies at the Catholic University in Washington in 1895. The Ancient Order of Hibernians, an Irish American Catholic organization, had funded the chair and Henebry was proposed by classmates Canon Patrick Augustine Sheehan and Fr. Michael Hickey for the appointment. To fully prepare for his role Henebry was given special leave to go to Germany to study, again with effective lobbying on his behalf by Hickey and Sheehan. He studied for his doctoral degree in Celtic philology in Freiburg and Greifswald with the acclaimed celticists Rudolf Thurneysen and Heinrich Zimmer.

Henebry took up his appointment at the Catholic University in Washington in 1898 only to be relieved of his duties within two years. Though he was suffering from ill-health, Henebry had also seemingly fallen out with his colleagues and superiors in Washington. A diagnosis of tuberculosis forced him to spend a year recuperating in a sanatorium in Denver, Colorado. While in America, he edited and translated a large part of the life of Colum Cille by Manus Ó Donnell which he published in ‘Zeitschrift für celtische Philologie’ (1901-05). Following his return to Ireland, Henebry taught Irish in a variety of places in the Waterford area, notably during the summers from 1906 at Ring College (Coláiste na Rinne), which he had helped establish in 1905. Various diocesan appointments followed within Waterford and Lismore, before he put his name forward for the Chair of Irish Language and Literature at University College Cork (UCC) in 1909, again an inaugural position.

Henebry remained at UCC until his death in 1916, but it was not a wholly successful appointment. His efforts to embed his model of Irish language teaching in the university were met with resistance, from students and others. His efforts to establish an archive of Irish traditional music were also thwarted, and his continuing ill-health compromised his own ability to achieve these objectives. During his lifetime, Henebry was recognized as a leading linguist, and his works on the Déise dialect of Irish were widely acclaimed in academic circles. Pedagogically (and perhaps culturally) an enduring part of his legacy was his role as a teacher at, and supporter of, Coláiste na Rinne, in the Waterford Gaeltacht. In addition to his language instruction, Henebry also taught Irish traditional music to any students who were interested. He also relished his role as a contributor to various papers and periodicals, however the longest of his musical works published during his lifetime was a booklet, ‘Irish Music: Being an Examination of the Matter of Scales, Modes and Keys with Practical Instructions and Examples for Players’ (1903). Henebry died on 17 March 1916 in Portlaw, County Waterford, and was buried in Carrickbeg near Carrick-on-Suir. Henebry’s analytical monograph, ‘A Handbook of Irish Music’ (1928), published by University College Cork, appeared posthumously, and was edited by Professor Tadhg Ó Donnchadha (1874-1949), his successor in the Department of Irish in UCC.

OLA · Instelling · 1876-2024

The Congregation of Our Lady of Apostles (OLA) was founded in Lyon in 1876 by Father Augustine Planque and immediately began to recruit girls in Ireland. The Irish Sisters would eventually settle in Ardfoyle Convent in Ballintemple, Cork from 1913 onward and became their own OLA Province on the 25th of November 1930. The Irish Province was initially comprised the OLA houses in Ireland, the Vicariate of Benin, and the Vicariate of Niger, with the latter of these two now being present day Nigeria. Sometime between 1930 and 1938 the OLA communities in the Gold Coast, now modern day Ghana, were included in the Irish Province. In 1950 the Irish Province began assuming responsibility of the French Generalate’s convents and foundations in England starting with their house in London, followed soon after by their property in Lancaster in 1953. For three years from 1949-1952 the Irish OLA had a foundation in Niger where they were involved in primary school education, and in 1957 the Irish Sisters began a new foundation in the United States.

In addition to setting up their own foundations, the Irish Province also assisted in the work of other OLA communities abroad in Egypt, Algeria, France and Argentina. And in 1974 the Irish Province sent their own sisters to help staff hospitals in Kenya and Zambia. In the 1990’s the original foundations in Nigeria and Ghana became self-sufficient and independent OLA provinces of their own, and so, the Irish Province opened a new frontier in Tanzania in 1991, and also sent Sisters to South Sudan to aid refugees where they remained until 1997. In 2024 the Irish Province became an OLA District alongside Tanzania with both Districts being independent.

IE CA DB/BB · Persoon · 14 July 1875-15 April 1950

Baptismal name: Patrick B. Brennan
Religious name: Fr. Benignus Brennan OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 14 July 1875
Place of birth: Paulstown, County Kilkenny (Diocese of Kildare & Leighlin)
Name of father: James Brennan
Name of mother: Mary Anne (Margaret) Brennan (née Byrne)
Date of reception into the Capuchin Order: 1 Jan. 1891
Date of first profession: 2 Feb. 1892
Date of final profession: 11 Oct. 1896
Date of ordination (as priest): 8 Jan. 1899
Missionary activities: Travelled to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States, in 1911
Date of death: 15 Apr. 1950
Place of death: Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Place of burial: St. Patrick’s Capuchin Friary, Wilmington, Delaware, United States

From the ‘Necrology of the Western American Province’ (2005):

Patrick Brennan was born in Paulstown in County Kilkenny on 14 July 1875. He was given the name Benignus upon joining the Capuchin Order in 1891. Benignus was remembered as an outstanding preacher and retreat master. This was his principal ministry. He also wrote articles for the ‘Homiletic and Pastoral Review’ and other publications. Most of his life was spent as a member of the community at St. Patrick’s Friary in Wilmington, Delaware, from the 1920s until his death in 1950. In the 1930s he was an associate pastor for a short time in the friary in Lincoln, Nebraska. He was there when fire destroyed the friary on 8 January 1933 severely injuring Fr. Raphael Quinn OFM Cap., the pastor. Benignus was a great community friar and a helper to all those in the community. He died in the Wilmington Friary on 15 April 1950 and was buried in the cemetery attached to the house.

IE CA DB/TC · Persoon · 4 July 1908-20 January 1996

Baptismal name: Edmond (var. Edward) Connery
Religious name: Fr. Timothy Connery OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 4 July 1908
Place of birth: Ballylanders, County Limerick (Archdiocese of Cashel & Emly)
Name of father: Edmond Connery
Name of mother: Catherine Connery (née Barry)
Date of reception into the Capuchin Order: 4 Oct. 1926
Date of first profession: 5 Oct. 1927
Date of final profession: 5 Oct. 1930
Date of ordination (as priest): 17 June 1934 (Letterkenny, County Donegal)
Missionary activities: Travelled to Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) in 1935. He returned to Ireland in 1938.
Date of death: 20 Jan. 1996
Place of death: Kilkenny
Place of burial: Foulkstown Cemetery, Kilkenny

IE CA DB/VC · Persoon · 2 March 1914-21 June 1952

Baptismal name: Joseph Andrew O’Connell
Religious name: Fr. Vivian O’Connell OFM Cap.
Date of birth: 2 Mar. 1914
Place of birth: 12 Claude Road, Drumcondra, Dublin
Name of father: Michael O’Connell
Name of mother: Kathleen O’Connell (née Kelly)
Date of reception into the Capuchin Order: 3 Oct. 1932
Date of first profession: 4 Oct. 1933
Date of final profession: 4 Oct. 1936
Date of ordination (as priest): 23 June 1940
Educational attainments: BA (1936)
Missionary activities: Travelled to California, United States, in 1946
Date of death: 21 June 1952
Place of burial: Holy Cross Cemetery, California, United States

From the ‘Necrology of the Western American Province’ (2005):

Joseph O’Connell was born in Dublin on 2 March 1914. On joining the Capuchins, he took the name Vivian in religion. Our information on Fr. Vivian is unfortunately very limited. After his ordination in 1940 he became Vice Master of Novices at Rochestown Friary in County Cork. He was sent to the American mission in 1946 and was assigned to minister at Blessed Sacrament parish in Elk in California. Shortly after arriving, he became ill and was diagnosed with cancer. He was transferred to Our Lady of Angels parish in Burlingame for treatment. He spent some time in hospital and died on 21 June 1952. He was buried in Holy Cross Cemetery in Colma in California.

Thomas Mulvany
TM · Persoon · 01/03/1868 - 16-11-1943

Mulvany was born in the townland of Skearke Moynalty, County Meath on the 1 March 1864 to James Mulvany and Mary Monaghan. He was ordained a priest of the Diocese of Meath on 6 March 1892.

Following his predecessors death, Pope Pius XI named him Bishop of Meath on 12 April 1929 and he was consecrated on 30 June of that year, with Cardinal Joseph MacRory being the principal consecrator. He retained that position until his death in Mullingar on 16 November 1943.He died in the Bishops Palace, Mullingar, and is buried in the Cathedral grounds.
New cathedral

At the time of his appointment, Mulvany became involved with plans for a new cathedral for Mullingar and the Diocese of Meath to replace the aging Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (1836–1936). He took the plans to Pope Pius XI, who was supportive and requested that the new building be dedicated as The Cathedral of Christ the King.The building was completed from 1932 - 1936.

Mulvany opened St. Patrick's Classical School Navan in the former study hall of St. Finians College, Navan (which had moved to Mullingar).

Patrick O' Neill
PON · Persoon · 1891-1951

Born at Grange, Fedamore, Co. Limerick, he was educated at St Munchin's College, Limerick and St Patrick's College Maynooth. Ordained priest in June 1915, he returned to Maynooth to prepare for a Doctorate in Divinity. He was appointed to the staff of Maynooth, and held the post of Professor of Moral Theology before becoming Vice-President of the College in 1936. He became PP Bruff and St Munchin's before he was appointed bishop in December 1945. He was consecrated bishop of Limerick on February 24th 1946.

Bishop O'Neill prepared the ground for the development of St Munchin's College and moved the Bishop's residence to Kilmoyle. Despite being a shy person, he was the driving force behind a great deal of Diocesan work. He died suddenly in Kilmoyle on March 26th 1958 and is buried in the priests' plot in Mount St Laurence Cemetery.

https://limerickdioceseheritage.org/Diocese/FormerBishops/PatrickONeil.htm

blackrock
blackrock · Instelling · 1900-2020